Gmünd Castle, 9853 Gmünd in Kärnten, Austria
Gmünd Castle dates from the mid-13th century. During the Austrian-Hungarian War in 1487 it was occupied and destroyed by the troops of King Matthias Corvinus after a seven-years-long siege, and rebuilt from 1502 to 1506 under the Salzburg archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach. During the German Peasants' War of 1525, it was again besieged, though not captured. Archbishop Wolf Dietrich Raitenau had the building enlarged in 1607. Devastated by a fire in 1886, it was restored from 1950 and is today used for theatrical performances, concerts and lectures, including a viewing tower and a restaurant.