Sé Nova, 3000 Coimbra, Portogallo
Founded in 1598, Se Nova is anything but new, although it is admittedly 400 years younger than Coimbra’s old cathedral. With a lovely Baroque facade, the statues of four Jesuit saints adorn its upper reaches, and two bell towers and a dome complete its splendid features. Located at the old Jesuit College, the New Cathedral occupies the Mannerist building which was built by the Society of Jesus at the upper town. The outline of the building has gone through many issues since 1547 which include advancements, retreats and alterations on the floor plan. Finally, in 1598, the foundation stone of the Baltazar Álvares (the architect to whom the outline is attributed) project was laid down. The interior is just as spectacular, with the high altar one of its many highlights. Se Nova contains several ornaments that were taken from the old cathedral. Located near the University of Coimbra, Se Nova is certainly worth stopping by on your way to see the main tourist attractions in Coimbra.